Kale also known as leaf cabbage is a green, leafy cruciferous vegetable, richly loaded with minerals, vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants that can benefit the whole body.
Kale formerly served as garden décor plant, to top of salad as a dressing and recent findings by health experts revealed the nutrient benefits of kale hence, it’s applicable in both modern and alternative medicines.
The interesting part of this vegetable is that it is versatile in diet, either by eating it raw as salad, prepare as chips, or in smoothies and green juice; this especially is good for weight loss.
- Kale is one of the most Nutrient-Dense Food on planet: Kale is packed with abundance nutrients with numerous health benefits. The body converts beta-carotene into Vitamin A which is a retinoid, essential for optimal functioning of the vision, immune system, reproductive system and nervous system.
Vitamin K which helps with bone health prevents osteoporosis, helps blood to clot properly. Consuming a cup of kale provide 472mcg of vitamin K which offers 590 percent of the daily value.
1 cup of raw kale provides 80mg of vitamin C or 133 percent of the daily value, Vitamin C responsible for the strong immune system, prevent sickness, and for better skin. It is also a source of calcium that supports the structure and function of the bones and teeth. Per calorie, kale has more calcium than milk.
Kale contain potassium, which help lower blood pressure, kale has more iron than beef which is component for healthy blood cells.
2. Kale is a Powerful House of Antioxidants: Antioxidants protect our body from free radicals which could damage the cells and leads to serious health issues like various kinds of cancer and other health complications.
Flavonoids and Carotenoids (lutein, and zeanxanthin) are among the antioxidant found in kale that helps prevent the body from cancer, glaucoma, cataract, and other chronic diseases.
3. Loaded with Numerous Cancer Fighting Substances: Kale-family vegetables contain sulforaphane, a protective enzyme that have been found to possess anti-carcinogenic properties. This substance sulforaphane also help protect healthy cells from effects of anti-cancer drugs.
Generally, cruciferous vegetables have been associated with lowering the risk of cancer among people that consume them.
4. High in Beta-Carotene: Current research shows that the carotenoids found in kale can act as antioxidants and boost the body’s own antioxidant defenses which help stop free radicals from damaging DNA that can lead to cancer.
This carotenoid i.e Beta-carotene is also converted in body into vitamin A which is essential for improved vision, healthy skin and hair, and boost immunity.
5. Best Source of Vitamin K: Kale provides the body with 590 percent of vitamin K daily value, the type provided is vitamin K1 which is mostly essential for blood clotting, and bone health.
Research has found that a diet high in vitamin K can help protect against various cancer.
6. Excellent Source of Vitamin C: The vitamin C found in kale is 80mg which is close to 95mg found in an orange. Vitamin C is potent antioxidant which is great for the immune system, vision, and skin.
Also help lowers the risk of contracting diseases and inhibit formation of carcinogens.
7. Has Potent Anti-inflammatory Properties: Kale is loaded with significant concentrations of vitamins, antioxidants, and other nutrients that have been found to ease chronic inflammation. Research has shown that omega-3 fatty acid has anti-inflammatory properties.
8. Kale Aids in Weight Loss: Kale is a healthy choice to be included in the diet when trying to lose weight. This superfood is rich in vitamins, minerals, dietary fiber which helps suppress hunger and is naturally filling, protein another filling nutrient, and low in calories.
1 cup of raw kale contains 2.4g of dietary fiber or 1o percent of the daily value, 3g of protein or 6 percent of the daily value and only 33 calories.