Tea is the most commonly consumed beverage apart from water, coffee is also very much popular. Green tea or coffee are been consumed for their amazing health benefits and taste.
Green tea is manufactured from the unfermented leaves of the plant Camellia sinensis also refer to as the tea plant. Coffee is brewed from roasted coffee beans.
Several types of research and epidemiological studies have found that bioactive compound polyphenols found in both green tea and coffee have many health benefits and prevention of diseases like cancer, diabetes, chronic inflammatory diseases, hypersensitivity, and obesity. It possesses some significant antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and anticancer properties.
In this article we shall be discussing the amazing health benefits of both green tea and coffee as well as the healthy ways to prepare them and reap the potential benefits.
Health Benefits of Green Tea and Coffee
Green tea and coffee are both loaded with common health benefits, including high antioxidant content, natural caffeine content, and aid weight management effects.
- Great Antioxidant Sources
Green tea and coffee are both rich in antioxidants called polyphenols. An antioxidant is a compound loaded with numerous health benefits, helps to combat the effects of free radicals on the body, and oxidative stress.
Excess of free radicals in the body may lead to oxidative stress which can be responsible for serious diseases in the body and speeding up the process of aging.
Catechin also called epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG), is a natural antioxidant found in both green tea and coffee
- Help prevent cell damage
- Prevent cancer
- Lowers cholesterol
- Inhibit tumor growth
- Reduce signs of aging
- and aids weight loss.
2. Natural Sources of Caffeine
Caffeine is a natural stimulant found in coffee, but lesser in green tea. The average cup – 8-ounce of coffee has about 95milligrams of caffeine while a cup of green tea usually contains around just 25 milligrams of caffeine per 8-ounce serving.
However, coffee provide three times the amount of caffeine as green tea. Accord to research, the maximum dose of caffeine an average adult can consume per day is 400 milligrams.
Your choice depend on how your body reacts to caffeine, for instance, if you are sensitive to caffeine, green tea will be more considerable with moderate amount of consumption.
Caffeine is mostly research on because of the abundant health benefits if offers.
- Improves mental functioning
- Increases alertness, attention, and energy.
- Enhances exercise performance
- Decrease fatigue and stress
- Aid weight loss
3. Aids Weight Loss
Green tea contains almost zero calories, which can help boost metabolism, improve the body’s ability to burn fats. Coffee as well contains no calories; makes you feel full and increase the speed of metabolism. Catechin and caffeine are compounds found in green tea and coffee, they help break down excess fat, speed up metabolism, and increase the amount of energy the body use.
The good news is, either green tea or coffee serves the purpose of several metabolic reactions the body undergoes with help of beneficial compounds found in green tea and coffee are;
- The good fat in the body become activated
- Regulates blood sugar
- Help you to recover quickly after a workout
- Promote the growth of beneficial bacteria in the gut, which help burn fat.
Coffee and green tea are very richly nutritious with numerous health benefits. However, the way they are prepared can differentiate them between highly nutritious and less nutritious beverages. These tips will give you a healthy brew of green tea or coffee.
- Skip Adding milk: Avoid adding too many sweeteners like sugar, processed honey, syrup, caramel to your coffee or tea, it may reduce the nutrient level.
- Add Cinnamon to your Coffee: Instead of adding sugar, you can replace it with some pinch spices like cinnamon, cardamom, and nutmeg powder. This will make it creamer and also add to the nutrient level by preventing diabetes and obesity.
- Choose Low Fat-Milk Over Full-Fat Milk: Adding low-fat milk to your coffee or tea will help reduce the number of calories and fat content.
- Add Lemon Juice to Your Green Tea: This increases the antioxidant of green tea and also makes it more available to the body since lemon is also rich in antioxidants properties.
Which is Better?
Coffee is higher in caffeine content which makes it suitable if you want improved physical performance and alertness. Consider taking coffee if you are not caffeine sensitive.
Green tea on the other hand contains L-theanine (an amino acid that improves a state of calm and alertness). Green tea may be a better choice for people with insomnia and anxiety.
Green tea and coffee are both healthy and safe that provide numerous health benefits due to their caffeine and antioxidant contents. They offer benefits like anticancer, weight loss properties, increase physical performance, and alertness.
The choice depends on your state of health and considering high caffeine content in coffee and green tea’s L-theanine content may help you decide which is better.