Lungs are one the most important organ of the body as it a fundamental organ of the respiratory system. Lungs help to filter the breath-in air and take oxygen (O2) to the red blood cells for circulation, and in-turn helps get rid of carbon dioxide (CO2) to the environment as a waste product.
The air we breathe-in contains some harmful substances (germs): bacteria and viruses that get trap in the lungs and can cause air-borne disease, respiratory tract infections and may even cause damage to the lungs.
This vital organ needs proper care to function properly and also to keep our respiratory process balance and in-order.
The following are essential tips that could help cleanse the lung and enable it function well.
Exercising the airways (lungs)
Lung exercise also called belly breathing focuses on strengthening the diaphragm muscle and increasing lungs capacity. This is done by breathing-in (inhaling) air and hold your breath for some seconds, which can be 10s, 20s, 30s depending on your capability, and then breathe-out (exhale) slowly.
- This exercise help free your airways
- Increases the capacity of the lungs
- Makes breathing easier
Drinking a glass of warm water in the morning don’t only waken our body organs but also help to flush-in any trapped bacteria and viruses down to the intestine, which cannot survive the alkaline environment in the intestine and die-off eventually. Stays hydrated for the rest of the day and avoid cold, frizzy and alcoholic drinks
- Waken up body organs for proper performance
- Helps get rid-off germs trapped in the air-ways
- Makes breathing easier and loosen mucus
Eucalyptus oil (Aromatherapy)
This essential oil is gotten from eucalyptus plant. Because of it nice aroma and rich health benefits is being used in aromatherapy. Some drops of eucalyptus oil in hot water for inhaling helps a lot in easing breathing and improves mood.
- Treats cold, nasal congestions
- Improves mood
- Ease difficult breathing
Lemon is an antioxidant and is rich in vitamin C which boosts the immune system against any kind of infection. Lemon becomes alkaline when it gets to the body system and no disease or infection can strive in an alkaline environment.
Some ways to benefit from lemon are:
- Juicing lemon in hot water as a tea
- Steaming inhalation with lemon oil and hot water.
- Soothes sore throat and relief painful sinus
- Freshens breath
- Boost immunity
Chewing raw garlic can help heal life threatening lung infections and inhibits the growth of bronchitis virus. Allicin is a compound produced when garlic is chopped or chewed which has inflammation and antioxidant properties.
- Relives congestion and cure cold
- Clears phlegm from the chest and lungs
- Kills bacteria and viruses that cause lungs infection.
Eating fresh ginger or boil chopped fresh ginger in water and strain to ingest as ginger drink are the two (2) best ways to benefit your respiratory health and ease breathing difficulties.
- Helps improve circulation to the lungs
- Break down mucus
- Loosen phlegm and treat inflammation associated with lung disease
Pineapple juice is said to contain an active enzyme called Bromelain which is anti-inflammatory and vitamin C. These may help with asthma symptoms and other painful respiratory problems.
- Help manage asthma symptoms
- Treat colds and cough
- Reduce inflammation and swelling around the nasal passages
Incorporating honey in your teas and drinks can help in clearing up chest congestion and soothes throat irritation.
- Reduce inflammation in the bronchial tubes
- Soothes irritating throat and chesty cough
- Improves lung health.