There are effective natural remedies to cure acidity and heartburn without going for over-the-counter drugs and it can be prepared right from the comfort of ones home.
The acid produced in the stomach can sometimes move up into the oesophagus, which can cause burning pain and discomfort around the chest to the throat and may worsen when not properly handled.
Acidity and heartburn can result from causes other than the underlying disease which include overeating, spicy food, alcohol, and medication side effects. These symptoms can easily be taken care of with effective natural home remedies.
In this article, we have highlighted some of these natural remedies and how they are been used for effective result.
9 Home-made Natural Remedies to Cure Acidity and Heartburn
Unripe plantain banana increases mucus in the digestive tract. The mucus forms a strong protective coating around the digestive tract, prevent acid formation, and help heals ulcer.
- Get some firm unripe plantain, peel the back and slice in thin form
- Oven dry the banana or use a dehydrator to remove excess moisture
- When properly dried, grind into fine powder and store in a clean a tight container.
- Mix 2 tablespoon of banana powder and 1 tablespoon of honey
- Take this mixture 3 times a day.
Honey is natural sweetener that is loaded with numerous health benefits including treatment of ulcers. Some scientific review has suggested that honey contain anti-microbial effect against H. pylori, ulcer causative agent and also prevent the stomach lining against the effect of NSAIDs. Honey can also be applicable topically on wounds, skin ulcers and burns to facilitates the healing process.
- Have 1- 2 tablespoon of raw honey 3 times daily
- Alternatively, add t tablespoon of honey to a glass of water and take every morning.
This amazing spice is versatile medicine, known to offer some health benefits including healing ulcer. The level of Helicobacter pylori, the causative agent of ulcer can be kept in check by consuming garlic directly or including it on our diet.
- Get 3 garlic cloves, peel them and crush slowly in the mouth
- Get a glass of water and quench it down.
- It can also be crush into small size and swallow with water if you fear the smell of garlic.
- Can be added on dishes also to reap the health benefits.
Eating ginger can help with gastric ulcer caused by H. pylori and also prevent ulcer caused by NSAIDs. Some people use it in treatment of stomach and digestive conditions including, constipation, gastritis, stomach inflammation and bloating.
- Grate fresh ginger root and allow to infuse in water overnight
- Take half glass of the ginger water 3 times daily
- Ginger can be grated on soups, smoothie, and fruit juice to reap the amazing health benefits.
Fresh pineapple contains bromelain which has anti-inflammatory effect. This may help combat acid reflux. Always choose whole pineapple over pineapple juice because you get less concentration of bromelain in the juice.
- Consume fresh pineapple before meal
6. Basil leaves
Basil leaves have soothing properties to relief acidity in the stomach lining and stimulates mucous productions.
- Chew 2-3 basil leaves before meal
- Alternatively, you can add basil powder to smoothie, soups, and drinks.
7. Fennel seeds
Fennel seeds contain oil that aids digestion reduces acidity, and prevent bloating. Fennel seeds natural gripe water can also relieve colic pain in babies.
- Crush a spoonful of fennel seeds, add hot water and allow to simmer for 2 minutes.
- Strain out the tea, and consume every morning.
- Crushed fennel seeds can also be added to cooking.
Probiotics or beneficial living bacterial present in cultured buttermilk can fight H. pylori and also neutralize acid in the stomach.
Yoghurt, buttermilk, or any probiotics can be taken anytime of the day.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider Vinegar is another effective remedy that can neutralize stomach acid and treat heartburn. This help to balance stomach pH but have to be diluted with water before consuming. The acetic acid in ACV can also help fight H. pylori.
- Dilute 1 teaspoon of ACV in a glass of water and take after meal
Heartburn and acid refluxing to the throat can be manage with some lifestyle changes.
- Eat at least 3-4 hours before going to bed
- Sleep with your head slightly elevated
- Avoid spicy and acidic food
- Choose plain water over carbonated beverages
- Maintain a healthy weight
- When heartburn occurs twice in a week or become severe try and see your doctor.