COVID-19 is still affecting most people in China and outbreaks in some other countries. The experience can be mild in some people while in others can be very severe. There is currently no vaccines to prevent this fast spreading and deadly disease, to stay safe and also protect others, practice the following healthy tips.
Wash Hand Frequently with Soap and Water
Frequent washing of hand with soap and enough water kill more bacteria and virus thereby reduce the chance of being infected and also infecting others. Do this often to keep your hand clean.
Step-by-step process for effective hand washing:
- Wet hands with running water.
- Cover wet hands with enough soap.
- Scrub all surfaces of the hands; back of hands, between fingers and under nails for few seconds.
- Rinse thoroughly with running water.
- Dry hands with a clean cloth or single-use towel.
Use Alcohol Based Sanitizer
In the absence of soap and water, alcohol based sanitizer gel can be substitute to keep your hand free of germs.
Use sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol and rub it into your hands by ensuring full coverage for some seconds.
How to make sanitizer at home:
- 2/3 cup of rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol, benzyl alcohol etc.) of about 60%-99.9% alcohol.
- 1/3 cup of 100% pure Aloe Vera gel or vegetable glycerin. Any of these will act as carrier and moisturizer to prevent your hands from the effect of alcohol.
- 10 drops of lavender essential oil (for fragrance).
- Add 10 drops of tea tree oil if your fingers normal have fungus infection. (Tea tree oil only act as anti-fungal not anti-viral).
- Add 1 tsp. of vitamin E oil for extra moisturizing and lustrous skin.
Mix the measured ingredients together thoroughly, and then fill into portable squeeze plastic bottles.
Maintain Social Distance
Maintain at least 1meter distance between yourself and anyone sneezing and coughing. (World Health Organization recommended)
To lower the risk of infection, you have to reduce your rate of contact with people, avoid unnecessary social gatherings as well as social physical contact with others like handshakes, hugs, and kisses.
Practice Respiratory Hygiene
Coronavirus spread through droplets from infected person’s cough and sneeze, to minimize the spread, you have practice some respiratory hygiene which are:
Cover your mouth with tissue while coughing and sneezing and dispose tissue properly into closed bin immediately after use or in the absence of tissue you can flex over your elbow while coughing and sneezing.
Take enough water to stay hydrated is crucial to health. Cells work perfectly when you are hydrated because there is adequate supply of nutrients to the body cells.
Drinking water can do a whole lot of good for your immune system, as it can help your kidney flush toxins from the body effectively.
A good balance diet should contain daily needs of vitamins and minerals, which supports our immune system and fight against infections and diseases.
However, if you are not getting the daily recommended amount of vitamins and minerals in your dietary intake, then it’s better to go for supplements containing vitamins A, C, D E, B6 and zinc. But note that supplement cannot replace a good balance diet.