Fasting is the willful refrainment from eating and drinking for a period time. Fasting has been around for centuries and will continue to be a regular practice for many cultures and religion in future. It has been part human to fast from time to time.
This could be for religious reason or health reason but whichever, fasting come along with a lot of health benefits for those that observe it.
Physiologically, is the metabolic state achieved after complete digestion and absorption of a meal. Several metabolic adjustments occur during fasting.
To some others it is an effective “life hack” makes life simpler, while improving your health at the same time and time saving. i.e the fewer meals to plan in a short period of time.
From time immemorial, fasting has been of very health benefits before modern research backed it up. Longevity, weight management, disease prevention, boost metabolism, underlying health management and much more are the health benefits of fasting we shall be looking into.
- Boost Brain Function: Brain and the whole body perform better when fasting. By increasing the level of protein that promotes neuron growth brain cells also get activated. Cognitive function, alertness, learning, concentration, memory all increases during fasting.
- Aids in Weight Loss: Intermittent fast is an effective way to lose weight and improve health. When fasting, calorie intake is decreased, the body goes into conservation mode, level of insulin will be reduced which in turn boost fat burning and metabolism to maximize weight loss.
- Prevention of Cancer: When one fast, there is calorie restriction which can slow down and even stop the progression of cancer, kill cancer cells, boost immunity which in turn improve the effectiveness of chemotherapy and radiation therapy.
- Increases Growth Hormone: Human Growth Hormone plays an important role in growth, body composition, muscle growth and metabolism. Studies have shown that fasting is a stimulus to (HGH) secretion. A significant drop in body fat and insulin level during fasting directly stimulates HGH productions.
- Boost Metabolism: Norepinephrine is a neurotransmitter and a hormone which mobilize the body and brain for actions. There is drastic increase of this hormone during fasting which significantly breaks down body fat and stimulates metabolism.
- Extend Longevity and Youthful: Fasting activates autophagy, which helps slow down aging process and remarkable impact on cell renewal and survival. During this process, cells destroy viruses, bacteria, damage structures that can generate to life threatening diseases will be eliminated from the body.
- Enhances Heart Health: Research has shown that fasting help lower blood pressure, reduce cholesterol, control diabetes and weight reduction which are the major risks for heart disease. If those can be taking care of, we can reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Fights Inflammation: Fasting can help keep inflammation under control, because during fasting a number of cells that can cause inflammation are starved and die-off eventually.
- Improves Immune System: Fasting is said to reset the immune because during this period, there is depletion of white blood cells which induces changes that triggers stem cell and regeneration of new immune system cells can take place.
- Improve Insulin Sensitivity: During fasting, insulin which is a blood glucose-lowering hormone becomes very much sensitive, the amount glucose (sugar) in the blood is reduced during this time thereby keep blood-sugar level under control.